Also see our Google Scholar page.
Hurley group Postdoc advisee at Johns Hopkins University
Hurley group Ph.D. advisee at Johns Hopkins University
Hurley group Undergraduate or High School advisee at Johns Hopkins University
*Hurley as PI or Co-PI while at Johns Hopkins University
2021, in final preparation
- B. Kuwik, G. Kim, C. Zhai, M. Daud, R.C. Hurley* (2021). Roughness and humidity effects on contact, friction, and contact plasticity revealed by micromechanical testing and analysis, In final preparation.
- B. Kuwik, M. Garcia, G. Shahin, R.C. Hurley* (2021). Experimental breakage mechanics of confined granular media across strain rates, In final preparation.
- K. Lee, R.C. Hurley* (2021). Force inference in 3D granular materials: Uncertainty analysis and application to synchrotron data, In final preparation.
2021, in review or published
- G. Shahin, E.B. Herbold, S.A. Hall, R.C. Hurley* (2021). A hierarchy of length scales in the mechanical behavior of 3D granular media, In review.
- C. Zhai, N. Albayrak, J. Engqvist, S.A. Hall, J. Wright, M. Majkut, E.B. Herbold, R.C. Hurley* (2021). History, structure, and stress dependence of local rearrangements in 3D granular media from machine learning, In review.
- X. Sun, Q. Yang, S. Chocron, R.C. Hurley*, R.A. Haber, J.C. LaSalvia, & K.T. Ramesh (2021). Effects of particle size, shape and loading rate on the compaction of an advanced granular ceramic, In review.
- A. Bhattacharjee, R.C. Hurley*, L. Graham-Brady (2021). Fragmentation and granular transition of ceramics for high rate loading, In review.
- K.T. Ramesh, L. Graham-Brady, W. Goddard, R.C. Hurley*, M. Robbins, A. Tonge, A.L. Tonge, A. Bhattacharjee, J.T. Clemmer, Q. Zeng, W. Li, Y. Shen, Q. An, N. Mitra. (2021). Models for the behavior and failure of boron carbide in extreme dynamic environments, In Press.
- A. Gupta, R. Crum, C. Zhai, K.T. Ramesh, R.C. Hurley* (2021). Measuring particle-scale 3D granular dynamics during rapid compression from 2D X-ray images, Journal of Applied Physics, 129: 225902.
- A. Bhattacharjee, A. Bhaduri, R.C. Hurley*, L. Graham-Brady (2021). Failure modeling and sensitivity analysis of ceramics under impact, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 129(22), 225902.
- C. Zhai, Herbold, E.B., R.C. Hurley* (2020). The influence of structure and forces on ultrasound transmission in granular materials. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117 (28). Link to Paper. Internal Press. External Press: APS, ScienceDaily.
- M. Cil, Q. Zeng, R.C. Hurley*, L. Graham-Brady (2020). An integrative model for the dynamic behavior of brittle materials based on micro cracking and breakage mechanics. Dynamic Behavior of Materials. In Press. Link to Paper.
- O. Stamati, E. Andó, E. Roubin, R. Cailletaud, M. Weibicke, G. Pinzon, C. Courture, R.C. Hurley*, et al. (2020) spam: Software for Practical Analysis of Materials, Journal of Open Source Software, 5 (51), 2286. Link to Paper.
- D. Wei, R.C. Hurley*, L.H. Poh, D. Dias-da-Costa, Y. Gan (2020). The role of particle morphology on concrete fracture behavior: A miso-scale modeling approach. Cement and Concrete Research, 134, 106096. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley*, J.D. Hogan. (2020). Workshop on Mathematical Challenges in Brittle Material Failure. Journal of the Dynamic Behavior of Materials. 6, 14-23. Link to Paper.
- C. Zhai, D.C. Pagan, Hurley, R.C.* (2020). In-situ X-ray tomography and 3DXRD measurements of cemented granular materials. JOM, 72, 18-27. Link to Paper.
- M. Cil, R.C. Hurley*, L. Graham-Brady. (2020). A constitutive model for brittle granular materials considering the competition between breakage and dilation. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 146(1), 04019110. Link to Paper.
- C. Zhai, E.B. Herbold, S.A. Hall, R.C. Hurley* (2019). Particle rotations and energy dissipation during mechanical compaction of granular materials. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 129, 19-38. Link to Paper.
- M. Cil, R.C. Hurley*, L. Graham-Brady (2019). A rate-dependent constitutive model for brittle granular materials based on breakage mechanics. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 102(9), 1-11. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley*, D.C. Pagan (2019). An in-situ study of stress evolution and fracture growth during compression of concrete. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 168, 26-40. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley*, E.B. Herbold, D.C. Pagan (2018). Characterization of crystal structure, kinematics, stresses, and rotations in angular granular quartz during compaction. Journal of Applied Crystallography, 51(4), 1021-1034. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley*, J. Lind, D.C. Pagan, M.C. Akin, E.B. Herbold (2018). In Situ Grain Fracture Mechanics During Uniaxial Compaction of Granular Solids. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 112, 273-290. Link to Paper.
- J.P. Marshall, R.C. Hurley, D. Arthur, I. Vlahinic, C. Senatore, K. Iagnemma, B. Trease, J.E. Andrade (2018). Failures in sand in reduced gravity environments. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids. 113, 1-12 Link to Paper.
- O. Vorobiev, S. Ezzedine, R.C. Hurley (2018). Near-field non-radial motion generation from underground chemical explosions in jointed granite. Geophysical Journal International. 212, 25-41. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley, S.A. Hall, J. Wright (2017). Multi-scale mechanics of granular solids from grain-resolved x-ray measurements. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 473 (2207), 0491. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley, J. Lind, D.C. Pagan, M.A. Homel, M.C. Akin, E.B. Herbold (2017). Linking initial microstructure and local response during quasistatic granular compaction. Physical Review E, 96(1), 012905. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley, O.Y. Vorobiev, S.M. Ezzedine (2017). An algorithm for continuum modeling of rocks with multiple embedded nonlinearly-compliant joints. Computational Mechanics, 1-18. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley, J.E. Andrade (2017). Continuum modeling of rate-dependent granular flows in SPH. Computational Particle Mechanics, 4(1), 119-130. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley, S.A. Hall, J.E. Andrade, J. Wright (2016). Quantifying interparticle forces and heterogeneity in 3D granular materials. Physical Review Letters, 117, 098005. Highlighted in Physics Synopsis and Caltech News. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley, K.W. Lim, G. Ravichandran, J.E. Andrade (2016). Dynamic inter-particle force inference in granular materials: Method and application. Experimental Mechanics, 56(2), 217-229. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley, & J.E. Andrade (2015). Friction in inertial granular flows: Competition between dilation and grain-scale dissipation rates. Granular Matter, 17(3), 287-295. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley, J.E. Andrade (2015). Strength of Granular Materials in Transient and Steady State Rapid Shear. Procedia Engineering, 103, 237-245. Link to Paper.
- R.C. Hurley, E. Marteau, G. Ravichandran, J.E. Andrade (2014). Extracting inter-particle forces in opaque granular materials: beyond photoelasticity. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 63, 154-166. Link to Paper.
- A.M. Booth, R.C. Hurley, M.P. Lamb, J.E. Andrade (2014). Force chains as the link between particle and bulk friction angles in granular material. Geophysical Research Letters, 41(24), 8862-8869. Link to Paper.
- X. Zhao, R. Hurley, M. Sutton, W. Fourney, U. Leiste, X. Deng (2014). Small Scale Models Subjected to Buried Blast Loading Part II: Frame Accelerations with Hulls and Additional Mitigation Methods. Experimental Mechanics, 54(5), 857-869. Link to Paper.
- X. Zhao, G. Shultis, R. Hurley, M. Sutton, W. Fourney, U. Leiste, X. Deng (2014). Small Scale Models Subjected to Buried Blast Loading Part I: Floorboard Accelerations and Related Passenger Injury Metrics with Protective Hulls. Experimental Mechanics, 54(4), 539-555. Link to Paper.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- R.C. Hurley, (2021). Stress and force measurement uncertainties in 3D granular materials. EPJ Web of Conferences for Powders & Grains, 249, 02009.
- B. Kuwik, R.C. Hurley, (2021). Energy dissipation due to breakage during confined compaction of granular materials. EPJ Web of Conferences for Powders & Grains, 249, 07006.
- R.C. Hurley, B. Marks, E. Ando (2021). In-situ full-field imaging in modern experimental granular mechanics. in Mechanics of Granular Materials, Invited and in preparation.
- Hurley, R.C., Lim, K.W., & Andrade, J.E. (2015). Grain-Scale Measurements During Low Velocity Impact in Granular Media. Rapid Penetration into Granular Media: Visualizing the Fundamental Physics of Rapid Earth Penetration (pp. 291-317.). Link to Book.
- Brodrick, T., Hurley, R.C., Fourney, W.L. (2014). Mitigation of Loading on Personnel in Light-Armored Vehicles Using Small Model Testing. Blast Mitigation (pp. 249-277), Springer, New York. Link to Book.
- Homel, M. A., Herbold, E. B., Lind, J., Pagan, D., Crum, R., Hurley, R., Akin, M. (2018). Simulations and experiments of dynamic granular compaction in non-ideal geometries. AIP Conference Proceedings, 1979(1), 180004.
- Hurley, R.C., Andrade, J.E. (2015). A Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics Method for Coupled Gas-Porous Media Flows. Engineering Mechanics Institute Computational Inelasticity Paper Competition, Stanford, CA.